On Sunday August 13, 2017 LHORBA will sponsor our 11th Annual Blue Knob ride and picnic day. There will be several MTB rides and road rides. Meet at the Pavia Run Pavilion, Mowery Hollow. Coming from SR 869 this will be the first right after you pass the swimming pool on your left and the big gravel swimming pool parking lot on your right. There will be a sign that says “Mowery Hollow”.
In order that we have enough food to share and a nice picnic variety, LHORBA kindly asks that you bring a side dish or dessert along with your own "special" beverages. All LHORBA picnics are free for members and their spouses and $5 for non-members. The picnic will start after the rides at 3:00PM
1. Randy Rusnak’s Ride: Meet at 10:30AM to set up the shuttle - Intermediate
Ride will meet at Mowery Hollow in order to organize our shuttle. So do not get ready to ride at Mowery Hollow. Shuttle to the top. 10 Miles of "mostly" downhill riding. Lots of rocks
2. Rich Maher's Ride: Meet at 10:30AM to set up the shuttle. Intermediate and Above
This ride will feature Lookout Trail, the Connecter Trail to the Lost Turkey, then 9 miles of the Lost Turkey from the Towers at Burnt House. It will finish with a road ride from Burnt House back to Blue Knob. Approx 14 to 15 miles, and about 3 to 4 hours. Even though you will be losing far more elevation that what you gain, this can be a demanding ride with steep downhills, tough climbs, hike-a-bike sections, and a few challenging rock gardens. This is a must-do for those who like a "in the middle of nowhere" back country ride. But be aware that it is not an easy ride despite the fact that you are shuttling.
3. Kevin Campbell and Mike & Brenda Mucker’s Ride: 10:30AM Ride Time- Upper Intermediate & Above
We will start by climbing from Mowery Hollow for a 3 to 4 hour, 18 to 20+ mile ride that will include the best of the State Park side. This will not be a race pace ride but it will be a steady pace with lots of climbing to be rewarded with some of the best downhill cross country trails in PA. Brenda and I may break this into two groups if the group is large or if we see the need for rides at two different paces.
1. 51 mile ride - Ride leaders: Paul & Barb Godish, 14 -15 mph pace, moderate climbs, stops as needed. See this link for additional ride details. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5456718 Ride time: 10:30 a.m. from the pavilion
2. 40 mile ride - Ride leader: Larry Babal, 11-13 mph pace, moderate (some short steep one's) climbs stops as needed. See this link for additional ride details. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16700891 Ride time: 11:00 a.m.
3. 35 mile ride - Ride leader Diane Tercek, 11-12 mph pace, moderate climbs stops as needed. See this link for additional ride details. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/9405488 Ride time: 11:30 a.m.
4. 16 mile Easy Rider ride led by Gil Demos. This ride has been called one of the flattest rides in western Pa. We will meet at the pavilion at 12:00 p.m. to consolidate cars and to caravan to the start in Weyant just a few miles down the road on 869 http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3023919